Application Deadline: June 1
The Scholarship Program seeks to:
- Stimulate interest in ground water related study and research projects in the junior and senior years of high school.
- Encourage high school students to consider careers specializing in the provision and protection of ground water resources.
- Focus attention on the need for trained specialists to ensure that America continues to maximize the environmental and economic benefits of its ground water resources.
- Payment of the scholarship award is made directly to the college.
- At the expense of the American Ground Water Trust, scholarship recipients may be asked to travel to a national or regional ground water conference or meeting to be publicly presented with their award certificates.
Rules for Application
- For students entering their Freshman year in a full-time undergraduate academic program of study at a four-year accredited university or college located in the United States.
- Applicants must intend to pursue a career in a ground water related field.
- Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA in high school.
- The college / university selected for study must offer appropriate courses.
- The applicant must either have completed a science / environmental project at high school which directly involved ground water resources or, have had vacation / out of school work experience that is related to the environment and natural resources.
- Applicants must be US citizens or legal residents of the United States.
- Fill out the application only one time. (You will automatically be considered for all three scholarships.)
- Applicants should provide biographical and achievement information by completing the scholarship application form. The completed form must be countersigned by a teacher at the applicant's high school.
- A 500 word essay and a 300 word description of the applicant's high school ground water project and/ or practical environmental work experience must accompany the application (see selection criteria below).
- Application must be accompanied by two letters of recommendation.
- Application should be received at the American Ground Water Trust by June 1.
- Documentary evidence of scholastic achievements and references will be requested from finalists
- The Trust will write to all applicants (successful and unsuccessful) at the end of August.
Criteria for selection
Initial selection of finalists will be based on:
1. The essay - "Ground Water - an Important Environmental and
Economic Resource for America."
2. The description of the ground water related project and/ or work
3. The two letters of recommendation.
The final selection for the scholarship award will be based on the above criteria, and on:
4. The strength of support provided by the applicant's references.
5. A review of examination transcripts and GPA scores.
6. Written confirmation of acceptance from the college or university.